Monday, June 13, 2011

Life-long To-Do List

Source
Here are some things I'd like to do in the next year, two years, three years, five years, hundred years:

  • Embroidery, such as the above Sarah Jane Studios pattern.  I used to do Sublime Stitching a million years ago, but I didn't really have anything to do with it.  I made a couple tea towels and called it a day.  Now I'd like to actually make things.  It'd be easier if I had a kid, but I don't, nor do I want one anytime soon, so it looks like I'm at Gracie's will.  Hopefully she won't be too much of a tomboy.
  • Be successful.  At something.  Something I enjoy.  I'm still fleshing this one out, but everyday I sit in an office is another day I wish I had the money to open my own business.
  • Open my own fabric store.  And make it awesome, not dowdy or weird.  If I could be surrounded by creativity everyday, and creativity of my own making, I think I'd be happy.
  • Bake bread.  I eat enough of it; I should contribute some to the world.
  • See the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  I want to do this before I have kids.  I want it to just be me and Nick, and I want to watch it from a hotel window so I don't actually have to deal with any crowds.  I thought about doing that this year, but the prices are ridiculous.
  • Pay off all my credit cards.  This is boring but true.  I'm getting closer, but I'll still have a couple big ones for a while.
  • Live far, far away.  Further away even than now.  This move has taught me that I did not die by moving far away, and neither did anyone else.  We can do it.  It's crazy hard and sometimes you just wanna cry, but you do it anyway, because someone still has to make dinner and pay bills.
  • Have good hair.  I constantly look in the mirror and think, "Now, if only my hair would cooperate..."  However, I'm sure that once my hair is under control, I'll have something to say about my skin or, eyebrows, or something.  Whatever.
  • Grow tomatoes.  See: bake bread.
  • Manage my stress.  A personal one, but still relevant.  Whether it's anxiety or panic attacks, I tend to have stress issues frequently and always have.  I don't like to resort to medications (bad experiences / I tend to think things aren't as bad as they really are) but I would like to have the time to go to yoga or something, as a way to manage it.
  • Live close to my family.  After living far away, if we could all come back together, that'd be great.
I kinda just want to figure out who I am, I guess.  Do you know who you are yet?  Do you have any tips for someone like me?

2 comments:

  1. I think you just summed up my to-do list: figure out who I am. Yep, that'll do.

    But seriously, I guess I always have felt like everyone was kind of born with an identity, and mine just got lost in the mail. What I'm realizing is that it takes a long time and a lot of hard work to figure yourself out. I love that you've made a list of it. Keeping it all in sight is incredibly difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, I know. Write that one sentence and suddenly it will be done! It truly is that easy! I hope so, anyway.

    I feel exactly the same way. I know all these people who have purposes and callings and passions--they know they want to be mothers, or workers, or businesspeople, or they just want to sit around and watch movies all day--and I don't have that. I bounce around from job to job, hobby to hobby, and I say I'm diverse but, really, I'm trying to figure out who I am.

    I'd just like to know what I'm meant to do and who I'm supposed to be. This waiting thing sucks, and before I know it, I'll be 50 without anything to say for myself.

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik