Elizabeth and I swapped mini quilts and sewing machine covers for Christmas. I've only made a couple mini quilts ever, and they've always been for me, but I love the idea of them because sometimes the thought of making a huge quilt is just exhausting.
I broke into my stash of Mendocino to make this Round n Round mini. I've been hoarding this fabric for years and it's been passed back and forth between me and my mom. Currently, it's in my possession, and my mom and I decided if I ever have a kid the baby room should be Mendocino-themed. I love that idea, especially now that I have Heather Ross Prints and can order the Swimming Sisters print off of Spoonflower.
I quilted this mini with light blue Aurifil in perpendicular straight lines. I was unsure about this at first but I really like the subtle movement and I love the little boxes it creates--some mermaids and fish are framed!
I backed the mini in Art Gallery Oval Elements and made little hangers so Elizabeth can put it on her wall! I used a coordinate from Bonnie and Camille's Happy-Go-Lucky for the binding, which was perfect.
I had never made a sewing machine cover before, so this was a first and was a little scary. I decided to go with the "quilt" version, which isn't as structured as other sewing machine covers.
I had an idea in my head about how I wanted to make this: I originally wanted to use the Thimble Blossoms Mini Spools pattern to make five spools across the front and a rainbow dresden on the back. But I did the math wrong (unsurprisingly) and ended up with three spools on the front and two on the back. Oh well.
I used some fun fabrics from my stash for the spools. I thought I had gray faux-bois fabric in there somewhere, but I couldn't find it for the life of me! So white faux-bois it was.
I quilted it with white Aurifil in straight lines, which is functional and doesn't take a lot away from it. I didn't want it to be overwhelming--this is something that needs to fit into Elizabeth's sewing room fairly easily! It's definitely not a statement piece.
Sigh--the backing. I agonized over this for hours--what to use?! I've had this Melody Miller Viewmasters print in my stash for well over a year, after spending too much on it on Etsy. The colors went with the spools pretty well and the linen substrate will hold up pretty well, too.
I used the Motif Madness print from Rashida Coleman-Hale's Tsuru line as the binding, which I made extra wide just for fun, and I threw in some aqua and red from Oliver + S's City Weekend line for the ties. That's it on my machine above. Hmm, maybe it looks too good and I should've kept it...
I also made Kelby a Gather cowl (pattern by Tin Can Knits; Ravelry notes here), a mini iPad case and a box bag, but I completely spaced on taking pictures of those. That's what happens when you procrastinate and rush through!
Merry Christmas, everyone!