Sunday, July 22, 2012

Project 17: Sewaholic Thurlow Shorts

Sometimes the third time really is the charm.  After last week's horrible, terrible, no good, very bad shorts, I finally found a pattern that works!  Granted, I did make a lot of mistakes while making these, but at the end, I asked myself, are the wearable?  Yes.  Did I learn something?  Yes!  Many things.  So, onto...the Sewaholic Thurlow shorts.

I'd like to apologize in advance for the photos.  It's dreary out and I finished the shorts at 11:15 last night, so natural light just isn't cooperating.



Pattern Description
Shorts and pants with back extension, belt loops, welt pockets and zipper fly.  This is view B, the shorts.

Pattern Sizing
Available in 0-16.  This is a straight size 10, but now that I've tried them on again this morning, I probably could have made a 6 or 8.  These are "fat day" shorts for sure.

Did it look like the drawing on the envelope when you were done with it?
They are definitely shorts, but I didn't make a ribbon belt and I opted for a wide hem instead of a cuff.  I'm not a cuff girl, as much as I sometimes would like to be.


Belly shots are not my classiest moment, but at least my tattoos are hidden.  (Not a joke, I have two tattoos on my hips.)

Were the instructions easy to follow?
No, but I'm totally conflicted about this.  In my last Sewaholic review, I mentioned that one of the things I really liked was the lack of repetitive instructions--I don't need to read how to insert an invisible zipper or finish a seam every time I make something.  I got it.  But given the number of new techniques--welt pockets, fly zipper--I feel like there should have been more detail to the instructions.  While this is a wearable garment, it's far from perfect, and a lot of times I felt lost while reading the directions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked that they fit!  And they don't look terrible--they'll look even better in a smaller size.  And I'm really starting to love Tasia's patterns.  I'm considering the Pendrell blouse next, but I know she has another blouse coming out fairly soon and I'd like to see that first!

Fabric used
Mint green cotton twill and polka dotted lining, both from Denver Fabrics.  I was able to squeeze a size 10 out of 1 1/8 yards of the twill, which is amazing.

Pattern alterations or any design changes made
I opted for the wide hem, like I said.  For the most part, my alterations were complete mistakes--for example, I sewed the waistband incorrectly, and didn't realize until it was too late.  I also cut the fly facing out backwards, so the interfacing is visible.  Whoops!



Wrinkly butt is always a good thing, right?

Would you sew it again?
Probably.  I'm debating on whether or not to use the Viewmasters for it.  That was my original intent, but now I'm wondering if that isn't the greatest idea.

Conclusion
I am so glad I didn't give up on shorts!  However, I'd also like to mention I broke three needles while working on this project.  On a side note, I need to buy some needles.  I also need a serger and room for a serger stat.  I hated zigzagging those seams and they are a hot mess.

So I'm glad I gave it a whirl.  Sorry for the low quality pictures.

Also, check out all the stuff I got this week!



Needless to say, I'm a little broke at the moment!  I also won six yards of Denyse Schmidt's new line Chicopee from Pink Chalk Fabrics.  Woohoo!!

Have you tried the Thurlow shorts yet?  Are you angry that I showed my belly and my butt in one post?  Let me have it, folks, I can handle your rage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik