Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Cabin Fever

So maybe you heard about the storm that hit DC last week...or maybe you haven't!  If you haven't, consider yourself in the majority; my parents didn't know about it until I texted them at 5 AM Saturday to say we were without power and it was 100 degrees in our apartment.  For whatever reason, it wasn't really widespread news, despite over a million people in the area without power and heat indices in the 100s.  Because we're so close to a Metro station, we only lost power for about 24 hours, and lost internet for 48.  It definitely could've been worse, but the stress from the storm, losing groceries and being hot and cranky nearly tore us apart.  (Yes, I am that delicate.  I'm not proud of it.)

A side effect is that nearly everything in the area is closed due to power outages.  I went to four different grocery stores yesterday, finding the first two were open with limited groceries (only boxed foods, which isn't what I normally cook) and the last two fulfilling only about 90% of my grocery list.  Thankfully Target has been taking care of most of my needs, but they don't carry craft supplies, besides scrapbooking.  No hate to the scrapbookers (I love pretty pens as much as the next gal), but why nothing else?  They can't get some DMC floss on the shelves?  Michael's and G Street have both been closed since Saturday and it's killing me.  I need zippers, floss, thread, and hoops--and I have nowhere to buy them!  Cabin fever can usually be cured with some crafts, but you have to have the supplies!

I'm hoping everything will be up and running by tomorrow, because I can feel time ticking away.  Have I mentioned I'm impatient?  Well, I'm not proud of that either, but that's just who I am.  In the meantime, here are some things I've been thinking about lately, in lieu of actually doing anything:

  • Miniature Rhino - I've loved the Zodiac embroidery kits since before I was back into embroidery, but now I really want one.  I just started reading her blog and can't wait for the book to come out this fall!  The coverage of Renegade Brooklyn really makes me want to start focusing on my Etsy business more, offering custom items or little things people might like more than baby clothes.  Inspiration abounds in this blog!
  • This fabic: . I bought two yards from Denver Fabrics last week and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.  It reminds me of the J. Crew fabric featured this past spring, which was navy and coral but had the fun heart print.  I'm trying to find a shirt pattern to use with this--I'd like something with a yoke, three-quarter sleeves and a simple neckline.  
  • Disney!  I haven't been in almost two years (weird for a Floridian, displaced as she may be) but Jake and I have been reminiscing a lot lately about it.  I really miss it.  I'm definitely someone who hangs onto memories and I wish Disney would bring back the rides of my childhood: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, the original Tiki Hut, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.  The day they close the Hall of Presidents will be the saddest day of my life.
  • Soft-serve ice cream - do you know how hard it is to find decent ice cream around here?  I guess I'll settle for an IceDream cone at Chick-Fil-A, but I'd love a cherry dip.
What have you been up to lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik