Sunday, July 8, 2012

Project 15: Sewaholic Cambie dress

This heat is making me incredibly unproductive.  I just want to lay around and nap, only waking to eat something really unhealthy just because.  It's supposed to cool down to the 80s this week, which is awesome, because maybe it'll give me the kick needed to get some stuff done.

Alright, I started off a post with the weather, this is a great sign.

Yesterday I started sewing the Sewaholic Cambie dress, aka everyone's new favorite pattern.  I couldn't find a bad review of this pattern anywhere!  Of course that made me wonder if I'll be the only person in the world who has a problem with it.  Just like the Tova, it would be my luck.  Fortunately, that wasn't the case, and I'm pretty happy with it.  I'd like to know when I'll start realizing full dresses don't look great on my body, but whatever, y'all can deal with it. 


The cross-eyed wonder
Pattern Description
Two versions of a sweetheart-neckline dress: one with a straight skirt and one with a full skirt.  This is view B, the full skirt.

Pattern Sizing
Available in 0-16.  This is a straight size 10, no adjustments.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the envelope once you were done with it?
Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very!  This was my first Sewaholic pattern so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I figured everyone loves Tasia's patterns for a reason, right?  Also, she had a great tutorial on her blog to explain how to insert the lining--that was really helpful!

This dress used almost an entire spool of thread.  I bought this yesterday because I didn't have any thread that matched.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I loved that the instructions were succinct and assumed you knew how to insert a zipper, etc., already--I don't need an explanation each time!  I loved the online resources available.  Also, this is my first sweetheart neckline and definitely won't be my last!

Fabric used
Royal blue dotted Swiss and light blue cotton batiste, both from Denver Fabrics

Pattern alterations or any changes you made
No alterations to the pattern, but I decided to make both dresses (lining and shell) in tandem.  I don't like having the extra pattern pieces floating around if it isn't necessary.



Would you sew it again?
Yes!  I want to go through my stash and see if I have enough fabric to make view A.

Conclusion
I now understand why everyone loves this pattern.

So the only problem I have is that I don't know where to wear this.  Is it work appropriate?  I feel like it'd be great for a wedding shower or baby shower, but I don't attend either of those...hmm.  And then part of me wants to just wear it while riding a bike or going on a picnic, which poses another problem--I don't own a bike and don't have anywhere to picnic.  Where do you think I should wear it?

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I think you could wear it loads. If you don't dress it up (eg wear it with flats etc etc) you could wear it most places. In that respect it reminds me of my fave summer dress which I wear all the time when the weather is nice as it's so easy to just put on a summer dress and some sandals/ballet flats and you're done! (my dress is blogged here: http://mymessings.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/happy-2011.html)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a cute dress! You did a great job making your own pattern, too--that process scares me!

      I'm thinking I need to buy a belt to make this a little more casual, too. Maybe then I can wear it to work? But thanks for your suggestion, I think flats are the way to go!

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik