Thursday, May 19, 2011

Lotus Pond dress

I finished my first summer dress last night, Simplicity 2584.  I modified it a bit, but all in all, I'm pretty happy.


The fabric is Kona Solids and Amy Butler's Lotus collection, which I've had in my stash for roughly four years and bought before I could even sew, holding onto the hopes that my mom would make me something (Ha!).  I never knew what to do with it--purse?  skirt?  shirt?--but finally it came to me after buying this pattern in February.  I think it's a light, fun print without being childish.

I made view B but modified it to be more like view D.  First, I omitted the sleeves.  Summer is hot, and if I want sleeves, I'll grab a cardigan.  I also omitted the tuck at the bottom.  I started folding to see what it would look like, but, with the patter, it would have messed up the flow. 

It's the length of view B, but I snatched D's armhole binding to finish the arms.  I also ended up taking it in even more.  Boxy isn't a good look for me.

Finally, I decided it didn't need a back zipper, once I read reviews that so many others were doing this.  After a quick Googling (just cut on the fold), I was done.

It took me about two days to sew, but that's because I was sewing between work and dinner, and still working on dinner in the mean time.  I'm a crazy multi-tasker, so I'd sew and press, turn on the oven to preheat, sew a little more, get the water boiling, sew some more, etc.  What do people do with only one project?

I have a ton of both materials left over, so it may become an Ice Cream Dress for Grace.  I have been all about the stash-bustin' lately, mostly to make room for all the Aneela Hooey, Anna Maria Horner and Heather Ross I just bought.  (On sale, don't freak.)  (Though I can't imagine why you'd freak unless you were Nick, and he's already heard about my process and still doesn't care.)

What's next?  I don't know.  I have a hard time making things for myself because, well, do I really want to face my measurements?  No.  No I do not.  Also it's hard for me to choose just one project.  So I have a pile of fabric for me and a pile of fabric for Grace and I'll go from there.  I have some new patterns coming in this week, so maybe that will jumpstart things.  Also, did you not see how much fabric I just bought?  Good god!

2 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! I can't believe how quickly you have become a pro (seems to be that way to me!). I love that you took the pattern and made it into your very own to fit your style! I also love that you have not one pile of fabric, but two. I might also love that one of those piles of fabric is for Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, hardly a pro. I am terrified of zippers but I'll get there eventually. Maybe. I thought you might like Grace's pile of fabric! Did she like her shirt? And I picked out that card based on last year's animal of choice, so I hope she doesn't think I'm out of touch!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik