Monday, May 16, 2011

The Family Reunion Dress

I don't know if it's because I dove straight into sewing (and did relatively well, for never having extensive lessons) or if it's because I'm distracted, but I've had a hell of a time sewing lately.  There were all the fails a couple weeks ago, and then this past week, working on the Oliver + S Family Reunion dress for my cousin's daughter, I managed to screw up everything.  I missed an entire page of directions, tore out one of the sleeves four times, had messed up measurements, and a button that just wouldn't squeeze through the hole.  Overall, it looks okay, but it was a bumpy road.



Sorry about the wonky shape; apparently 2T clothing doesn't fit on adult hangers that well (who knew?).  I used Patty Young's Flora and Fauna collection in Hive - Lime, which was a scrap left from my mom's Amy Butler Domestic Goddess apron.  We tend to be a little obsessed with bees in my family, so I figured Grace should be exposed early.

I've also decided it would behoove me to learn French seams.  Pinking, while it certainly gets the job done, just isn't classy enough.  I'm making myself a dress this week, so maybe I'll try them out then.  And then I'll make Grace some more clothes, to make up for the pitiful state of this one.

How was everyone's weekend?  Make anything?  Buy anything? 

2 comments:

  1. Grace is sure a lucky little girl! I wish I knew someone who sewed that could make adorable clothes for my kid!

    I tried to make a flower bib necklace, but I kind of failed. I need to take it apart and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until I have kids of my own, I'll keep encouraging her clotheshorse personality. Plus, it gives me something to do with scraps!

    What's a flower bib necklace? I've neve heard of one, nor have I tried making jewelry yet. I'm sure you'll do great when you pick it back up!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik