Sunday, April 17, 2011

This Just In: Not a fan of quilting.

I know, I just committed blasphemy.  I worked on the Sew Mama Sew Charm Pack Baby Quilt yesterday and today, and I just don't want to look at it anymore.  I'm guessing it has something to do with my machine.  I have a simple Singer Heavy Duty machine, not a long-arm or quilting machine.  This quilt is not even 4' x 4' and it was too much to handle on that machine.  I just tried to sit down and do the binding but became too frustrated.  Done!


This was the quilt top last night.  I actually had a good time sewing together the charms.  I should have known I'd have trouble, though, when I sewed the rows wrong: you're supposed to rotate 180 degrees each time (so it starts big square, little square, on and on) but that didn't happen.  Oh well.


This is the quilt as of now.  It bunched like crazy in the middle and I don't know why.  Maybe because I was using an all-purpose foot instead of a walking foot?  I'm hoping once it's washed and it crinkles it won't be as noticeable.  The binding is a light blue Kona solid.  The periwinkle is a Kona solid too, and the charms and backing are both City Weekend by Liesl Gibson for Oliver + S.

So I think I'm just frustrated.  Does anyone know how to bind and could explain it?  I looked on the Oh, Frannson! explanation and just didn't get it.  The mitered corners I think threw me off.  And she switched halfway through to a different material and color so I wasn't sure what I was looking at.  Any help would be much appreciated!

On another note, it's officially spring in the nation's capital:



This tree is right around the corner from us.  I stopped on the way home from buying groceries to take a few pictures.  Spring is pink!

How's everyone's weekend?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik