Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Shutdown

I have a rare free moment so I'm just going to voice a few opinions real quick.  First, some background: I live in Silver Spring and commute to Rosslyn, so I'm in and out of DC at least twice a day.  I have family and friends working for the government, and my company is a consulting firm that helps the government.  I will be affected by this possible shutdown in some way.

I'm not going to pick sides because, the fact is, every single member of Congress is to blame.  Tea Party, Green Party, bipartisan, I don't care.  You've all failed us.  I wish I could change it.  But it's April 2011, we haven't had a budget since September 30 of last year, and no one is allowed to get away with this outside the government.  Businesses and corporations have to have a budget in order to pay their workers.  You all just keep on going, fighting and bickering like children, and no one gets anywhere.  Stop being stubborn.  Stop naming names and making excuses.  You're not 6 anymore.  Let's get this done with the least amount of damage possible.  Some people have rent to pay and can't afford for you to keep pointing fingers.  Just get. it. done.

Okay, now that that's out of my system, I will say that I received Bossypants yesterday and read the prologue and the first chapter last night.  While I wouldn't call this "literature" (Tina, I love you, but it isn't), it's certainly hilarious.  So hilarious, in fact, that I wouldn't dare read it on the Metro because I would sound like a crazy person laughing to myself.  If you love funny women--and who doesn't?--do yourself a favor and pick this up.  Tina Fey is my role model, and Liz Lemon makes me believe that there are more people out there like me than I think.  One of my biggest pet peeves is when magazines and TV shows try to get you to relate to celebrities by saying, "Oh, they have their fat days too!  Look!  She ate an entire hot dog!"  Wow, I feel instantly closer, soul sister.  But when Liz Lemon makes her mistakes every week, I realize I've made those mistakes too.  Who hasn't told some guy he was wrong instead of flirting with him?  Good lord, I still do that.  So if you can relate, read it, it's excellent.

Also, a final note.  Nick got a job!  Yay!  We're both really happy and excited and I'm so relieved.  Oh thank god.

I sing that song when I'm feeling great.  Perhaps I should've sang it yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik