Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Project 7: Wiksten Tova

Again, a Wiksten design.  I cut them both out last week and figured why not sew them up in the same weekend?  Well, maybe my ambition is a bit too much on weekend late-nights, because I was so annoyed with this top Saturday night that it gave me really bad stress dreams.  I woke up Sunday morning traumatized but ready to take on this SOB and show it who's boss.

Wiksten Tova

Pattern Description
Wiksten Tova top, which is a tunic with an inset.  The pattern also contains pieces for a dress.

Pattern Sizing
XS - XL.  This is a large with modified seams.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the envelope when you were done with it?
Yep!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Okay, so.  The instructions were apparently easy for everyone but me.  Seriously, I Googled the hell out of this pattern, thinking someone, somewhere, could help me, but all I could find was praise for how easy it was.  Not cool, guys.

The inset really screwed me up.  I couldn't tell from the picture what was being pinned and how it should be done, especially with the placket pinned together.  I gave up Saturday night (thankfully, never a stitch was sewn) and got back to it Sunday afternoon.  I finally went with unpinning the placket, pinning one side at a time to the front of the top, and then sewing the bottom of the placket last.  I don't think it made an impact, but good Jesus, it was painful.

Oh, and then I sewed all the side seams wrong (so it was a crazy, diagonal mess when I checked the basted size) so that was a great time.  Oh, and I think the sleeves are in backward.  Can you tell?  Please say no.

Props to Nick for the cellphone picture
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Again, the publicity--it calls to me.  I'm a sucker for popularity.  I also like that it's a simple top that looks good with jeans or shorts and can be thrown on.  I dislike how much stress I caused for myself.

Fabric used
Navy and white gingham from Denver Fabrics.  I think this is 1/4" gingham, but it might be 1/8".

Pattern changes or any design alterations you made
I didn't serge, first of all; all seams are zig-zagged except the side seams, which are French.  Also, the side seams are 5/8"--I need the shaping.  I probably could've even gone to 3/4" but I didn't want to go too crazy.

Man, way to clean up the apartment, Emily.

Would you sew it again?
So here's where I'm torn.  I really do like it, and I like that everyone is making them so I have a steady stream of inspiration to flip through.  But I'm going to need to wear this a few times before I decide to make another.  

Conclusion
I love gingham.

The next project on my table is the Oliver + S Class Picnic blouse and shorts, which I cut out last week.  I also have three Simplicity 2215s in Lotta Jansdotter staring at me, as well as some Nani Iro begging me to buy it for a skirt.  Phew.

7 comments:

  1. Again, I love this one. I think it looks great on you and I love it in the gingham fabric. This is another pattern on my wish list- along with Nani Iro fabric. *Swoon* I say give it another go!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, the Nani Iro is calling my name big time, I just have to find a way to justify the purchase. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, but we'll see how it goes :)

      Delete
  2. I had a tough time with the inset too. And I felt like I was the only one who ever has!! But now that I've done it once I'm planning to be more confident next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad someone else in the world had trouble too! :) Good for you on figuring it out as well.

      Delete
  3. i am contemplating joining the verykerryberry sew along but i am not a sewer. i sewed outfits for my daughter when she was small but have only done quilting since then. i love this top. i think yours turned out wonderfully and i love the gingham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you can quilt, you can sew! Seriously, quilting seems much more difficult in my mind--too much math for me--but the only way to know is to give it a try! Thanks for your kind words, and I hope to see you in the sewalong!

      Delete
  4. This was great to read thank you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik