Monday, February 27, 2012

Project 6: The Wiksten Tank

These Wiksten patterns have been blowing up on blogs--I hadn't seen a Tova until right around Christmas, and suddenly, there were so many variations in my Google Reader that I was practically forced to order these patterns and make my own.  The problem with me is that I'm impatient and I enjoy instant gratification--if I can't click a PayPal button and get this ball rolling, I have a hissy and an anxiety attack.  I get this from my dad, except on a much less expensive scale.

Anyway, I got these patterns in January and was waiting to grab some tracing paper.  I didn't dare cut up the hand-drawn pattern--yikes!  I traced last Tuesday, cut out Wednesday, and finally started sewing Saturday night.  It felt good to get back in the swing of things.

I can't wait until I live somewhere with non-white walls.

Pattern Description
The Wiksten tank.  The pattern has pieces for both a tank and a dress.

Pattern Sizing
XS - XL.  This is a large with modified seams.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the envelope when you were done with it?
Yes, I think so!

Pocket, with marking tools to demonstrate its storing ability.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, very.  Only beginner skills are needed for this pattern, and I think I could've easily completed it last year when I first started sewing.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Obviously, all the press!  I liked the simplicity too--I can throw this on with shorts in the summer.  The versatility is also appealing, in that I can make it with different fabrics for different seasons and never feel like it's too much or overdone.  I also really liked the back length, and I think it'll look cute (again) with shorts.

Yep, that's a 12-pack of Cottonelle behind me.

Fabric used
Cloud9 Fabrics Nature Walk Moss in Ocean.  I bought this last spring and it's been sitting at the bottom of my stash ever since.

Pattern changes or any design alterations you made
I took in the side seams another 1/8" on each side.  For busty girls, 1/4" is sometimes all you need for some shape!  I also did two rows of stitching on the pocket.  One didn't feel sturdy enough.

Booty and doughy arms
Would you sew it again?
Yes, it's actually a great stashbuster!  I think I may use commercial bias binding in the future, because it just looks neater and it takes less fabric--I could probably squeeze this out of 1.5 yards or so if I didn't have to cut bias binding.

Conclusion
Okay, I get it--I'm a tank convert now.

My biggest problem, it seems, is that I make all these things and never wear them.  Then again, I'm at the breaking point with my closet, where it's bursting and I have all these things I never wear.  I think this is the worst part about living in a place with seasons (besides icky winter)--I have double the wardrobe due to temperature fluctuations.  How do I deal?  And please don't tell me to throw more away: I have four shopping bags of donations awaiting a trip to Goodwill!



3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it!! I'm really crushing on the Wiksten patterns too. I can't wait to see your other variations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I happen to know both patterns are available in her shop right now (hint hint--I am a really bad influence, I know). I hope you decide to go for it soon too. I love seeing all the variations and everyone's personalities shining through such a simple pattern!

      Delete
  2. Oh thanks! Every time I check they are sold out. They seem like perfect patterns for the spring. Hmmmmm..... Maybe I'll make a visit to her shop on payday. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik