Sunday, December 9, 2012

Project 23: the Colette Rooibos Dress

You guys!  I'm back in the saddle!  I haven't embroidered in a week and I completed something on my to-do list.  I feel like my old self again!

We're all moved in and we've caught up on all the sleep we lost in November.  The boxes are all put away--there's one left in the bedroom--and we even have a Christmas tree up!  If you've been following me on Squaring Up, you saw my sewing room last week, which is amazing and wonderful and I love it so much.  I don't regret moving here for a second; we're so much happier, we have more room, and we can afford to eat!  Yippee!

Okay, let's get back to business.  It's still 2012, and I'm still working on my New Year's Resolutions.  I don't think I'm going to finish the whole list--unless some miracle drops all the patterns and fabric on my doorstep tomorrow, and that didn't happen with the Minoru jacket--but let's focus on the positive.  I completed another project this week!

I bought my Rooibos pattern and this wool gabardine in summer 2011.  Since then, I've been planning and hemming and hawing over it, too anxious to actually make a cut.  Finally, after organizing my sewing room, I decided to just jump into it!  I had the skillset and I wanted to wear a wool dress before spring came again (which would happen sooner here than in D.C.).  I cut everything out last week and finished it about an hour ago.  Here we go!

Pattern description
Sleeveless dress with collar and defined front pockets

Pattern sizing
0-18.  I cut an 8 for the bodice and a 10 for the skirt (my usual Colette sizes).

Did it look like the drawing on the envelope when you were done with it?
Yes!

Funky wool draping
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, and I'm not sure if that was because it's a Colette pattern or because I'm more advanced than I was a year ago, when I first wanted to attempt it.  But everything went smoothly.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
It's the Rooibos dress!  There are a thousand out there, and the inspirational pictures on Flickr just made me want my own more and more.  The lines, fun details, and clear instructions made this a really enjoyable experience.  I really love the front and back necklines as well.


Fabric used
Aubergine wool gabardine from Denver Fabrics for the shell; FreeSpirit Solids in Nugray for the contrast; poly lining from Joann for the skirt lining (yeah, this baby is lined!)

Pattern design changes or alterations made
Besides the sizing, I don't think I changed anything!  I didn't do a blind hem, as is recommended; if I have a blind hem foot, I don't know how to use it, and today wasn't the day to learn!


Would you sew it again?
I'd love to!  Maybe in something brighter for spring.  I think the wool is great but I'd like something I can wear in warm weather. This is definitely a winter dress.


Conclusion
I'm so happy I finally took the plunge!  I inserted piping for the first time with this dress, and added a little rhinestone button at the collar for some fanciness.  I think this will look great with a cardigan or even a turtleneck under it--I have a bunch from Target that have three-quarter sleeves.  I rocked the jumper in first grade; I think I can do it again.

Piping!
The only thing is...I haven't finished the seams!  I really need a serger, but I'm wondering if pinking won't cut it and I'll need to bind these seams.  What do you think?  How would you finish them?

I'd also like to note that this dress was sewn while watching the first season of the Mary Tyler Moore show on Hulu.  I truly believe that if more young girls watched this instead of the Disney channel, there'd be way fewer hoebags out there.


Yay!  It feels so good to be back.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik