Saturday, September 29, 2012

Project 21: The Serendipity Studio Sabrina Tunic

I followed through on something!  Woohoo!!  My fall sewing goals didn't fall through the cracks (yet) and I completed my first project ahead of schedule!

Granted, this isn't the most exciting project.  It's pretty basic.  But sometimes a girl needs basic.

Pattern Description
Boatneck tunic with zipper closure in three lengths.  This is the shortest length.

Pattern sizing
XXS-XXL.  I made a medium.  Because I am medium.

Did it look like the drawing on the envelope when you were done with it?
Well, not as insane.  That woman puts a hell of a lot of quilting cottons together.  I just stuck to one, because that's about my level of interest.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Honestly?  I didn't read them.  I've made enough tops in my time; I know to sew the facings, make the darts, sew the bodice to the skirt, insert the zipper, sew the shoulders and side seams, attach facings, and then hem.  I got this.

What did you particularly like or dislike about this pattern?
It was easy.  I didn't have to think about it much.  However, the facings are awful.  I don't know why they're drafted so small, but this is true for all Serendipity patterns I've used.  I should know by now to just finish with bias tape, because the facings are such a giant pain in the ass.

Fabric used
Scattered Sand in Warm Grey from Lotta Jansdotter's "Bella."  I pre-ordered a bunch of prints in August and I knew this would make a great top.

Pattern design changes or alterations made
I left off all the options: no waist band, no ties, no ruffles.  I also used a 7-9" zipper instead of a 20".  I've found that just having the bodice open is more than enough for me.

Would you sew it again?
Maybe, but I'd remember to change the facings to bias tape.

Conclusion
I love polka dots and this will look cute with a cardigan and jeans.

So what's everyone been up to?  I'm currently researching wedding photographers.  While we aren't having a wedding, our parents and Jake and Kali will be there to eat pizza with us in celebration, and I'd like someone to take a few pictures.  Trying to explain the cost to Nick is impossible: while, yes, the photographer is going to cost more than the rest of the celebration combined, this day happens once, so once it's gone, we can't get pictures again.  I'm pulling for my favorite, who I'm insanely excited to work with, but he wants to see more pricing before we settle.  Men.

What are you sewing this weekend?  It's going to be a gorgeous one here in DC--enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. i am very impressed with anyone who can sew basically, this skill escaped me!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik