Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Books are Expensive

If you, as a stranger, were to walk into my apartment, first you would ask why we don't replace our crappy Ikea rug?  (Answer: because Eleanor scratches it up and it's preferred she do that there than on the furniture.)  Then, you would notice the sheer amount of books we have.  Along one wall of our teeny living room, there are three seven-feet high, five-shelf bookcases, each one filled, with books stacked on top.  Along the back mirror (oh yes, we have three mirrored walls, aren't we lucky!), there is a three-shelf unit holding the record player, amp, and...more books.  There's a nine-square cubby in the dining room, which holds all of our cookbooks, more smaller books, and fabric.  Finally, there's a shelving unit next to my sewing machine which houses patterns, notions, paper towels, and sewing-related books.

So, even imaging that mental tour, it's pretty clear that we're at no loss for reading material.  I haven't read it all, but I've read most of the books, and I'm not going to give them away or sell them just because they're unread.  In fact, I'm here to tell you I'm going to do the opposite: add more to my collection...once I have money.  If someone could go ahead and buy things from my Etsy shop, I'd really appreciate it, because sister could use some cash.

However, I'd like to point out that all three of these books are patiently waiting in my Amazon cart, where I can click "Place My Order" once I get paid Saturday.  Pay periods are a fickle bitch.

First up is Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing.


I've read a few reviews and this book looks like a great resource for patterns and techniques both--kind of like the Colette sewing book.  I didn't do Gertie's Bombshell class, so I'm not super familiar with her instruction style or the fit of her garments, but from the reviews I've seen, I really can't wait to get this book!

Next is a book I have mixed feelings on, in that I really want it but I really don't need it: Heather Ross Prints.


Like any warm-blooded sewist, I love Heather Ross.  Naturally, I want access to her artwork and creative process.  However, I can't draw a stick figure, and I am not artistic in the least.  This would be a book I open up, pet, and then put back on the shelf--but I must have it.

Finally, I'm lusting after Little Stitches, by Aneela Hoey.


The embroidery designs in this book are so sweet I just want to die.  Little girls, birdies, hexagons, what have you, and all on transfer paper, which, really, is the best thing ever.  I want to embroider aprons, towels, bags with these.  And I want that pink everywhere.

Are you craving any new books right now?  The list could really go on for me: Stitched Gifts by Jessica Marquez comes out in a month, Barefoot Contessa Foolproof will be released in October, and there are plenty of books already out that I want, but I just haven't gotten around to buying yet.

Also, I'd like to note that I made the preliminary project list for 2013 today!  It seems so early, doesn't it?  But I have a feeling the last few months of 2012 will fly by, and I'll need to have a jumpstart.  Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik