Saturday, June 2, 2012

Project 13: The Juliet Tunic

I need to get back on track with this to-do list!  The vacation set me back, and though I've been sewing, I've definitely focused on smaller, (more) instant gratification projects.  I love me some garment sewing, but a broken machine and a 600-mile road trip aren't the most forgiving situations.

However!

We had a crazy storm yesterday that lasted hours.  I think the tornado warnings started around 2:30 and it finally ended when we went to bed right before midnight.  There were flash floods, rotation clouds, warnings, blah blah blah.  After I finished up my work, I decided to get to cutting.  I have a new machine that's barely broken in--okay, side note, it's my mom's machine from 2001, but it's new to me--and I have a stash that just keeps building.  Time to get to work!

So, I bring you...


The Juliet Tunic.

Pattern Description
Empire-waist sleeveless shirt in three lengths; this is the tunic length with a 1/2" hem.

Pattern Sizing
XXS - XL.  I went with medium.

Did it look like the drawing on the envelope when you were done with it?
Yes!  Well, they aren't drawings, the front is a picture of all different variations, but I think it's pretty true to the examples.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
While yes, they are technically easy to follow, they are confusing as hell in formatting.  This is a Serendipity Studio pattern, so there are bazillions of customizations to be made.  However, instead of bulletpointing these instructions (for waist ties, applique, what have you), they're just thrown in there with everything else.  It's a pretty basic pattern, but I pity the fool who chooses this for her first from-pattern garment.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I've decided I hate gathering around the neckline.  I love the effect under the bust, but around the neckline is just horrendous.

Fabric used
Denyse Schmidt Flea Market Fancy...again.  I told you, I'm a crazy person!

Pattern changes or alterations made
Serendipity Studio can get really out there with all the customizations, so I suppose I'm boring for sticking to the basic pattern.  I'm fine with that.  Oh, I used a 7" invisible zipper because I didn't have a 22".  I didn't have an issue with it, though.

Would you sew it again?
Meh.  Maybe!

Conclusion
Sorry for the crappy picture that shows my armhole facing.  I'm bad at this still.

So I promise I am getting back on track.  I have a bunch of fabric in the washers right now, including lining for my Colette Truffle.  That's next, I think.  It's June and I feel like I should be so much further along--gah!

2 comments:

  1. I have been trying to make a gathered neckline top with this same exact fabric. For some reason the gathering looked awkward on my top, but with other fabrics, it looked fine. Maybe bc this fabric is slightly thicker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, quilting cotton is tricky like that! Sometimes I don't have an issue (I use it for a lot of garments!) and sometimes I do. Did you pre-wash it? Sometimes that makes it softer. I would also make sure you're using a good-quality thread, because when I've used cheap threads, I've found they snap and break easily. That's so frustrating, especially when you're trying to gather something!

      This post from the Sew Weekly has some quilting cotton tips: http://www.sewweekly.com/2011/07/atsw-using-quilting-cotton/. I do run into a few issues, but all fabric has its pros and cons, and I haven't found anything as versatile as quilting cotton yet! Good luck!

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik