Monday, January 9, 2012

Winter Veggie Pot Pie

Yesterday felt like it didn't really happen.

Well, maybe that's not fair.  It certainly happened.  I guess what I mean to say is that I crammed so much into the twelve hours or so I was awake that I feel like it just got away from me.  We had to run errands, I had a dress to finish, I washed clothes, and then I made dinner.  These things sound so simple and yet they all were way more involved than they should have been.

Winter vegetables!  Not shown: the gross residue the squash left on my hands.
When I planned yesterday's meal, I was sure it'd be cold out and it'd be the feel-good meal of the month.  I found the recipe at Eat.Live.Run and ran it past Nick, who agreed to eat it, even though it contained butternut squash and sweet potatoes, two of his least favorite foods (though he hasn't eaten them since he was a kid.  Time for some schooling).  Homeboy was none too happy to see me cutting these up yesterday, realizing that this was his actual dinner and there would be no meat involved, just hearty vegetables and some puff pastry on top.
However, he did try it.  And he liked it.  He even had seconds.

Before cooking
I don't think I changed much from the original recipe.  I did use one whole leek and one small onion, instead of her amounts, because, well, flavor is flavor.  Also, if you're going to make this, use a bit more salt.  Mine turned out undersalted, though I used a bit more than she called for.  I'm not sure why.

I will say this is an incredible rich and filling meal, even though it's basically a million vegetables and some broth holding it together.  I guess that's why, though--root vegetables are practically another form of meat.  I had two small servings and felt super-full.

After.  Look at that flaky crust!

Also, make sure you set aside plenty of time for this.  We had to make a last-minute trip to Trader Joe's for leeks and we didn't eat until after eight.  That's much later than I prefer.

Tonight I'm planning on making steak to make Mr. Picky Pants happy.  God forbid we eat a few vegetables!

Nick got his own pot pie because he is special.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik