Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Project 8: Oliver + S Class Picnic outfit

This project should not have been as taxing as it was.  It was a breeze to cut out and it had been patiently waiting for me to finish my Wiksten patterns.  But, alas, something was off about it.  Maybe it's because elastic and I don't get along.  Maybe it's because I'd had a bad day Saturday, and even sewing cute baby clothes wasn't knocking the funk out of me.  Or, maybe it's because my sewing machine broke unexpectedly Sunday afternoon, causing me migraines and arm strain from carrying my old machine up from the basement.

Really, it could have been any of these things.

But now it's done and I can rejoice!  And throw them into my storage ottoman with the other baby stuff that never sees the light of day.

I don't have a two-year-old to model these, so my table will have to suffice.

Pattern Description
Oliver + S Class Picnic blouse and shorts.  The blouse has a yoke and raglan sleeves; the shorts have elastic in the back and a faux fly.

Pattern Sizing
Baby sizes!  Six months - 12; this is a 2T.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the envelope when you were done with it?
Yes, I think so!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, absolutely.  Sometimes I have trouble with Oliver + S because I feel like, to get the best possible result, there are a thousand steps, but these were fun.  Once I got into the project, it was easy peasy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like how adorable it is.  It's very sweet!  I dislike how much trouble elastic gives me.  The elastic in the shorts wasn't an issue, but in the shoulder casings?  Forget it.

Fabric Used
Cloud9 Fabric's "My Happy Nursery."  I've had this for over a year and have planned on making two different baby gifts with it.  Well, that never happened, and I was tired of seeing it sit in my bookcase.


Pattern changes or any design alterations made
Due to sheer frustration, the shoulders don't have elastic in them.  Other than that, nothing is changed!

Would you sew it again?
Probably!  I mean, not anytime soon, as there are no buns in my oven, but it'd be a cute gift for a little kid.

Conclusion
Elastic is the pits.

So I'm now using my old machine, the most basic one, until I can figure out what's wrong with the machine my mom gave me.  I'm thankful for back-ups, and I'm hoping nothing requires a buttonhole anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik